(an) action and (the) result

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VicNicSor, Mar 7, 2014.

1. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    over
    used to express action and result
    oxforddictionaries

If the definition had been written according to all the grammar rules, it'd look like "used to express an action and the result", am I right?
    Thank you.

2. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Titles, headings, short definitions, notices and slogans = usually consist of short phrases and articles are usually left out.

3. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    I can't believe the dicionary did not give an example to show what it meant.
    Without an example, you are just speculating.
    For example, if we say "On March 31 winter is over", where is the action? And what is the result?

4. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    I thought the examples were irrelevant to the grammar of the definition.
    Here they are:

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    It did, e2: see adverb 3 here, where the examples are the car flipped over and hand the money over.

That said, I think Vik was asking about the formulation of the [abbreviated] definition. I agree with you, Vik: I, too, would expand it as "used to express an action and the result" or possibly "used to express an action and its result".

I find it quite hard to see how that definition relates to the examples - but that's another issue;).

-------

(Cross-posted with Vik. I'm definitely in slow-typist mode today:eek:)

6. e2efour

e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 76)
    UK English
    The examples are essential for what (without them) I find an obscure definition.
    In the case of prepositional verbs the definition does not always work, e.g. Think it over!

7. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Thanks to all:)