an addiction that [voids] conversation?

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Does "void" in the following sentence make sense?

The constant use of electronic devices will result in an addiction that voids conversation.

This is what I wrote in my writing assignment.

Thanks

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I don't think that quite works. To void (apart from being a rare word when used as a verb) means to empty of its contents. I don't think you meant that conversation will become empty, did you? Perhaps "an addiction that replaces/supplants/destroys conversation"?

High on grammar

Farsi
    I don't think that quite works. To void (apart from being a rare word when used as a verb) means to empty of its contents. I don't think you meant that conversation will become empty, did you? Perhaps "an addiction that replaces/supplants/destroys conversation"?
    Thank you. It was actually my teacher's suggestion that I should write my topic sentence using "void" as a verb.
    And I agree with you; it doesn't make sense.

My own original topic sentence was this: The constant use of electronic devices that keep us connected all the time will result in an addiction that deprives us of our ability to speak: the only quality that makes us human.

she said that it was too wordy for a topic sentence and that I should write " that voids conversation."

I agree with you 100%.

Thanks again.

rainchains

english united states
    Your original sentence is rather long, but you can shorten it without using 'void.'

Our newfound addiction to electronic devices to stay connected may have the opposite effect over time. Deprived of our ability to speak and interact, we may lose what makes us human.

High on grammar

Farsi
    Your original sentence is rather long, but you can shorten it without using 'void.'

Our newfound addiction to electronic devices to stay connected may have the opposite effect over time. Deprived of our ability to speak and interact, we may lose what makes us human.
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >