an admirable cause/goal

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The purpose of this plan is to build a hospital for poor people--it's a(n) admirable/desirable cause/goal.

First, does the above sound good?
Second,do both of the paired words fit into the above sample and mean about the same? Thanks.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Admirable cause = an inititiative or action deserving of admiration
    Desirable cause = an initiative or action that is to be desired (one would want it)

Admirable goal = a target or objective deserving of admiration
    Desirable goal = a target or objective that is to be desired (one would want it, again).

I think admirable would be more expected here than desirable. But either cause or goal would fit, although they are different in meaning (even if they refer to the same thing!)

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Admirable cause = an inititiative or action deserving of admiration
    Desirable cause = an initiative or action that is to be desired (one would want it)

Admirable goal = a target or objective deserving of admiration
    Desirable goal = a target or objective that is to be desired (one would want it, again).

I think admirable would be more expected here than desirable. But either cause or goal would fit, although they are different in meaning (even if they refer to the same thing!)
    This deserves to be called "the post of the day" :thumbsup:

In your context, QD, I would say "it's an admirable cause and a desirable goal".

< Previous | Next >