An adult without poison does not mean a husband

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Is the expression “An adult without poison does not mean a husband" understandable to you?

It is a translation picked up by me from a 2018 Chinese movie Di Renjie and His Wheel-of-Life Map.

It tends to mean:

Ruthlessness is the mark of a truly great man.
A real man does not lack in venom.
He who does not resort to violent treachery when it is necessary is not a true man. (These are copied from my dictionary Youdao, a Chinese-English dictionary).

• The Newt

English - US
    Without context, I would interpret "An adult without poison does not mean a husband" as meaning "just because someone doesn't poison you that doesn't mean he's husband material," so I think the answer is no, we wouldn't understand it.

Barque

Tamil
    Is the expression “An adult without poison does not mean a husband" understandable to you?
    It makes no sense to me at all, even with the explanation you provided. (The Newt offers a plausible explanation but it isn't something most people would think of immediately, in my opinion.)

Where does the reference to a husband arise from? The last three lines of your OP (under "It tends to mean") don't refer to a husband or marriage at all.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    I suspect you're trying to say something like "A man without venom isn't a real man."
    Yes. Thank you. :)

Where does the reference to a husband arise from? The last three lines of your OP (under "It tends to mean") don't refer to a husband or marriage at all.
    The original Chinese phrase has several definitions, among which are "a married man"(husband) and "a brave and dignified man." If you use machine to translate it, you usually get the former that is most frequently used.

< Previous | Next >