an agony of cramp for me

< Previous | Next >

OliviaLo

Mandarin Chinese
I don't understand the bold part of this paragraph...
Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance!

"I have come down to the meadow, alarmed at the unholy noise in the night. But the cattle are quiet; the villain of the peace is twenty yards away on the silver sward. The old boar badger is in the meadow, making the throaty gargle that passes for wooing in the Meles meles species. After an agony of cramp for me, the dominant sow, who has been his wife for two years now, deigns to make an appearance, coquettishly slinking under the wire."

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this? What is the name of the book, website, newspaper, etc?

We need some more information about what is happening.

This may help people who are not familiar with the terms used to talk about badgers:
    A male European badger is a boar, a female is a sow, and a young badger is a cub. ...
    Badger - Wikipedia
    If someone holds the same position for a long time, they may get a cramp -- a painful spasm of the muscles. It appears that this person has held a position for long time to avoid scaring the badgers, and gotten a painful cramp as result. However, they remained still enduring the cramp until the female appeared.

OliviaLo

Mandarin Chinese
    Where did you see this? What is the name of the book, website, newspaper, etc?

We need some more information about what is happening.

This may help people who are not familiar with the terms used to talk about badgers:
    A male European badger is a boar, a female is a sow, and a young badger is a cub. ...
    Badger - Wikipedia
    If someone holds the same position for a long time, they may get a cramp -- a painful spasm of the muscles. It appears that this person has held a position for long time to avoid scaring the badgers, and gotten a painful cramp as result. However, they remained still enduring the cramp until the female appeared.

Thank you very much, I think your interpretation is correct. I know that boar and sow refer to male and female badger respectively. I just didn't realize the connotation of the cramp part.
    The paragraph comes from Meadowland: The Private Life of an English Field by John Lewis-Stempel.

< Previous | Next >