An air break?


Senior Member
"Drains shall be of adequate size and, where connected directly to a sewer, shall be provided with an air break or other mechanical device to prevent back-siphonage"

I quoted one paragraph from an article reference to the Plumbing system.
An air break? What does that mean here? Is it a hole on the plumb? thanks.
  • panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    An airbreak is a feature in the plumbing that is difficult to explain without using the words "gap" or "break". This is unfortunate because an "air break" is not the same as an "air gap", apparently.
    < Previous | Next >