An alternative of “mutual” for more than two parties

polednice

Czech - Czech Republic
Hi everyone,

Is there any word that would mean “mutual” when speaking about more than two parties? Or is it okay to use “mutual” even in such instances? For example, The five friends talked about their mutual acquaintances.

I’ll be grateful for any suggestions.

• Andygc

British English
    Mutual can refer to two or many. I assume that most of the acquaintances being discussed are known to all of the five friends, although it is possible that some are known to only some of them - that is, mutual to a sub-group of the five.

Mutual can refer to thousands. A mutual society is a financial institution or insurance business which is owned by its investors or policyholders. Take a look at mutual in the dictionary and read the whole entry - AE and BE.

polednice

Czech - Czech Republic
    Mutual can refer to two or many. I assume that most of the acquaintances being discussed are known to all of the five friends, although it is possible that some are known to only some of them - that is, mutual to a sub-group of the five.

Mutual can refer to thousands. A mutual society is a financial institution or insurance business which is owned by its investors or policyholders. Take a look at mutual in the dictionary and read the whole entry - AE and BE.
    Thank you. I have seen some dictionaries say that it's okay to use "mutual" for more than two, but I wasn't sure.

< Previous | Next >