An amount of sugar is needed to mix the cake.

blue-pea

Thai
An amount of sugar is needed to mix the cake.
Could you tell me whether "an amount of" means "a lot of" or not?

• Barque

Tamil
    The sentence sounds a little odd to me. Are you sure there isn't an adjective missing? Perhaps "small amount"?

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    If this is from a recipe I don't suppose it means "a lot of". It should mean, "an appropriate amount of" or "some amount of". Sugar can act as a kind of emulsifier of ingredients such as eggs, oil/butter, milk, flour, etc. (Egg yolks are also an emulsifier.)

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, it is possible, but it wouldn't mean much if it doesn't say how much the amount is. You could just as well say, and it would sound more natural: "Some sugar is needed to mix the cake".

blue-pea

Thai
    Thank you so much RedwoodGrove and Barque!
    But I still wonder whether we can use "an amount of" in stead of " a lot of" in other case or not? Is it possible or not? Could you please give me an example?

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    Could this be a typo? I strongly suspect so. It doesn't sound like any recipe I have ever seen. And, no, you cannot use "an amount of" in place of "a lot of" because it will not convey that meaning.

blue-pea

Thai
    I think we can use "a large amount of" in stead of "a lot of". However if I say only " an amount of" in stead of "a lot of",it is possible or not.

< Previous | Next >