-an and -in affix

neealio

English
I tend to be confused about the usage of these two. What exactly is the nuance because from online sources they tend to look the same, but i think that aspects are different? or the tenses? ill just give a few examples

Tawagan vs tawagin
would the -an here be more present tense? or the usage to me seems like you WILL call them. with the -in here its more contemplative like you may or may not. im not really sure.

Tuluyan vs tuluyin vs ituloy

could the usage be the same here like

Tuluyan na natin!
Lets continue on with it!

Ituloy na natin!
Lets continue!

Tuluyin natin!
Lets continue it!

what im trying to say above is continuing on with something done because they had to pause

• DotterKat

English (American)
    This is contextual and you will have to learn correct usage with practice. The lines of text you mentioned have no difference in terms of tense.
    Object-focus affixes include i-, -in, -an and ma. The suffix -an is not as frequently used as the other affixes, especially compared to i-. For example, if you want to say that you want to continue something which you had to pause for a while and at the same time want the equivalent Tagalog text to be object-focused, the best formulation is Ituloy na natin. It is better to avoid the form tuluyan because although the construction may seem correct, the resultant word tuluyan means prose and furthermore can be confounded easily with the idea of tulayan (to bridge something). More importantly, tuluyan is most commonly used to mean directly, unswervingly, unhesitatingly or something that happens or is done in a straightforward manner.
    For object-focus verbs, stick to i- or -in (Ituloy na natin or Tuluyin na natin).

princeipeazul

Filipino
    They are both OBJECT-FOCUS suffixes but generally speaking the -in form is the passive form of -um- verbs.

Kumain (to eat) - Kainin (to be eaten)
    Kumain ako ng tinapay (I ate bread) - Kinain ko ang tinapay (the bread was eaten by me/ I ate the bread)

-an suffix on the other hand, is used when you to the action for somebody or on something

Nilinisan ko ang lamesa (the table was cleaned by me)

< Previous | Next >