"...an API that, for example, Office calls"

< Previous | Next >

Nesssy

Russian
In the textbook I cam across the phrase "They should compare the speed, security, richness of what it's like now to have that desktop search built in with an API that, for example, Office calls."
The phase should be from some interview with Bill Gates, at least it's said so.
The first part of it is clear, but I can't understand at all the syntax of the part which comes after 'with'. :eek:
Van somebody explain to me the second part of the phrase?
Thanks

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    The "for example" is placed between two commas because it is not an essential part of the sentence.
    The desktop search is built with an API that Office calls. The fact that Office calls the API is offered as an example to the reader--presumably other things call it as well.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    "Call" is used in a technical sense here. I believe it means something like "Office uses information from the API," but I can't claim to be intimately familiar with the term.

sdgraham

USA English
    In the world of programming and operating systems, portions of programming code are stored separately from the main program. These pieces of code can be used by more than one program and at least in the world of Microsoft Windows, can be identified by the file extension of '.dll' (which stands for "dynamic link library")

When a program uses the programming code from one of these files, it is said to "call" it.

< Previous | Next >