An Army .45 will stop all the jive.

tercu

turkish
"... An Army .45 will stop all jive." Huey Newton, the founder of the Black Panther party said that. What does the word 'jive' in this context mean please? Is it about talking too much and doing nothing? thanks.

Last edited:
  • tercu

turkish
    Thanks, but in fact I'm asking if anybody knows what he's really talking about here? What is the context of the sentence?

suzi br

English / England
    Since his branch of the Civil Rights movement was prepared to be violent compared to King's non-violent approach I would think that he is literally saying that a gun will stop the nonsense.

tercu

turkish
    These are the points I want to know.:( I read it in a novel. Some bad guys are doing a housebreaking job and their leader is quoting it.

pops91710

English, AE
    That helps a little bit now that we know it really isn't about civil rights exactly, but we still need what the conversation was referring to? Can you qoute the conversation/dialogue/context?

tercu

turkish
    "...Maurice said, 'We ready? Check your weapons.'... Maurice had a .45 because Huey Newton had said one time, 'Am Army .45 will stop all jive,' and Maurice had been told about Huey and the Black Panthers when he was a kid. He said to Glenn, 'You gonna come with me around back.' ... Looking at the house he said, 'Man, this is when to do it. They don't even see you coming.' ..."

Thank you all for your replies.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    (I am sure that neither you nor I intend to start a discussion of the idea that violence is necessary, but simply to give the background of the quotation.)

suzi_br is right about the historical context. Huey Newton was serious about his position that only the threat of violence or armed conflict would bring about a change in the way black people are treated in the United States. As he saw it, black people were not only being discriminated against, but were also sometimes themselves being killed.

I believe that in this context, "jive" refers not only to the speech that sought to justify the way blacks were treated, but also the actions that speech justified.

The line itself is taken from a poem Huey Newton wrote. (It has been slightly misquoted.)
    Guns Baby Guns*

Army 45 will stop all jive,
    [....]
    357 will win us heaven.
    If you don't believe in lead,
    You are already dead.
    I interpret the last line as saying that if you don't accept the necessity for using bullets, you have already lost; you will be killed.

I believe that the author of the novel means to show that housebreaker is misusing this quote to pretend that housebreaking is a political act, rather than a crime he is committing for his own reasons. It says something about his character that he would do this.

You can read more here: Huey P. Newton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Reprinted in: Pure fire: self-defense as activism in the civil rights era
    By Christopher B. Strain (2005).

Last edited:

tercu

turkish
    "I believe that in this context, "jive" refers not only to the speech that sought to justify the way black were treated, but also the actions that speech justified." Quoted from Cagey:)

thank you cagey. I understand now.

< Previous | Next >