an articulate, competent question

NewAmerica

Mandarin
I understand "an articulate, competent question" as "a clearly expressed question that is worth answering."

Am I on the right track?

Some nuance is lurking there.

On Friday, White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway would not comment on why the administration was challenging the science of its own agencies.

“Do you have an articulate, competent question?” she said—and then refused to answer any questions about the meeting.

Source: Scientific American Skeptics Are Being Recruited for "Adversarial" Review of Climate Science

• owlman5

English-US
    Yes, you are. Conway's remark sounds pretty devious to me. She's implying that questions she doesn't want to answer are questions that are "incompetent".

In all fairness, I must admit that I haven't heard the question that inspired her to answer that way. Maybe it was inarticulate and incompetent, but her answer seems interesting when I consider that she refused to answer any questions about a topic that she didn't want to talk about or wasn't authorized to talk about.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    an articulate question would be a well-expressed question; a clear question
    a competent question - I think this is a mistake caused by Ms Conway's irritation at her embarrassment at not being able to give an answer.

Crossposted.

< Previous | Next >