An artist who is starting

< Previous | Next >

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hi, native speakers of English!

What adjective would you use before a noun to refer to an artist (an actor, director, dancer etc.) who has just started in his/her profession? Something like "aspiring" actor/director, etc.? (although I really want to refer to the fact that he/she has already started, not just that he/she would like to become one)

This is what I mean: "John Smith is a .................. director from Texas."

Thank you in advance.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    'Aspiring' would do it. It's very common to hear: "John Smith is a (young) aspiring director from Texas." - and it means all the things you said it does.

Santanawinds

English - USA
    Novice artist

Novice means someone new to the skill/art/job.

Edit: though "novice" is the word you are looking for (it means someone new to the field), I'm not sure it is used that often for artists. Aspiring is used more often.

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Thanks, Beryl, but maybe it was my mistake that I didn't explain myself clearly enough. If we forget the restriction of an adjective, can you think of a way of referring to a director who has made one or two well-received films, but isn't yet considered an established film-maker?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Thanks, Beryl, but maybe it was my mistake that I didn't explain myself clearly enough. If we forget the restriction of an adjective, can you think of a way of referring to a director who has made one or two well-received films, but isn't yet considered an established film-maker?
    If he's made two films already that have been well-received, he's a promising filmmaker.

< Previous | Next >