An author of a website calls its readers lovebugs

< Previous | Next >

flyingwitch

Czech
Hello. If an author of her website calls her readers lovebugs, does it sound sweet? I have found on Google that it is some kind of an insect... Or is it because a "bug" means a dollar? (EDITED: it doesn't mean a dollar, more about this in post number 5). Please explain what does it mean in this context. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Ponyprof

Canadian English
    It's a term of endearment.

I didn't even know there was a real love bug and they seem nasty! I bet most English speakers who aren't biologists have never heard of them .

And I have a pretty big vocabulary, a mild lifelong interest in insects :) and a mind for trivia. I'm pretty confident in saying that unless you lived in a place where these were an invasive pest you wouldn't have heard of them

Lovebug - Wikipedia

anthox

English - Northeast US
    It’s just a term of endearment, like “sweeties” or “loves.” To me, it doesn’t make me think of an actual bug, and I have never heard of any situation in which “bug” meant “money.”

The only context in which I can think for “lovebugs” is when someone wants to refer affectionately to a couple who are spending time together, for example, “I’ll leave you two lovebugs alone.”

anthox

English - Northeast US
    @anthox: my mistake, it is bucks, not bugs, that means money... but I don't hear the difference here...
    The final sound is voiced in “bug” and unvoiced in “buck”. It’s even more obvious in the plural, where “bugs” will sound like “bugz”, completely distinct from “bucks”. I presume your difficulty arises from the fact that most (all?) Slavic languages devoice final consonants. But the difference is plainly distinct to a native English speaker.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Bugs" is a diminutive, a pet name. "Love" is obvious. So the writer is calling his readers "cute little people, full of love" or something like that.

< Previous | Next >