An awful lot of...

< Previous | Next >

pinball

Spanish & Catalan
Hi everyone!

I know this is an informal expression which means a lot, but is it used with a singular or a plural verb?

There's an awful lot of people here (i know this should be there are because people is plural, but there's sounds quite good to me. I don't know why. Am i wrong or right? Is it singular and plural or only singular.....???

Thanks a lot!

• pinball

Spanish & Catalan
    I would not like to be a nuisance, but i have seen there's an awful lot of people... In articles, and that is why i am in doubt. Could it be a colloquial way? There's an awful lot of things to do here or should it be there are an awful lot of things to do here. The former might be more informal and the latter more formal, and so more grammatically correct.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I would not like to be a nuisance, but i have seen there's an awful lot of people... In articles, and that is why i am in doubt. Could it be a colloquial way? There's an awful lot of things to do here or should it be there are an awful lot of things to do here. The former might be more informal and the latter more formal, and so more grammatically correct.
    Have you tried those threads? I think you'll find those issues are very fully covered there. We had one only last week on a very similar point; that must be there.

< Previous | Next >