An awkward pic?

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
If someone takes a photo of a celebrity in an embarrassing situation, what do you call this kind of pics? Awkward pics?

Cheers

• kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    So, do paparazzi photos always show celebrities in embarrassing situations?

What if I take a photo of my neighbour without his wig and dentures. Would you call that photo a paparazzi photo?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What kind of embarrassment do you have in mind? It makes a difference.

If the photograph shows them doing something that will harm their reputation, we might call it a "compromising photograph/ photo".

In my experience, "pic" is not widely used, though you may see it in writing that is intended to seem casual and conversational.

Last edited:

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    So, the photo of my neighbour would be called a compromising photo. Excellent, because my monolingual dictionary defines compromising as likely to damage your good reputation.

Thanks a lot.

Scribblerr

English US
    A compromising photo would be one of your neighbor getting tossed out of a nightclub for being too drunk, or leaving a hotel room with another man's wife.

I can't think of an exact term for what you're looking for, but I don't see why an "awkward photo" wouldn't work for what you describe. "Unflattering picture" or "unfortunate photo" would also work.

< Previous | Next >