an awkward sentence

Honza

Czech / Czech Republic
Hello,
I'm to translate a sentence saying that defendants (in a law suit) did not take the opportunity to express themselves on their case and they neither expressed their opinions by means of their guardian. My final translation is:

Defendants did not express their opinions on the case even through their guardian.

However, it sounds awkward to me. Would you have any suggestion how to make this sentence better? Or is it ok like that?

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    As it was an opportunity, and not an obligation, I wouldn't say "failed" as that carries huge negative connotations. I think I'd prefer "The Defendants declined to make any statements, either personally or through their guardians.

nycphotography

American English
    maxiogee said:
    As it was an opportunity, and not an obligation, I wouldn't say "failed" as that carries huge negative connotations. I think I'd prefer "The Defendants declined to make any statements, either personally or through their guardians.
    Good point. I had assumed (possibly incorrectly) that it was a prosecutors brief.

I suppose it depends on whether you are representing the Defendents or the Prosecution.

DEFINITELY choose your version carefully. :)

< Previous | Next >