An easy access Vs easy access.

NUPUR

Hindi - India
Computers give us an easy access to information.
Computers give us easy access to information.

Which one is correct and why ?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Access" is an uncountable noun.

It would be unusual to find it used as a countable noun. You might see it in a compound adjective, but the article would determine the bank account here, and not "access": "I want to open an easy-access bank account.

NUPUR

Hindi - India
    "Access" is an uncountable noun.

It would be unusual to find it used as a countable noun. You might see it in a compound adjective, but the article would determine the bank account here, and not "access": "I want to open an easy-access bank account.
    Okay, You mean an is not appropriate in my sentence, and it should be omitted because access is used in the sentence which is uncountable, so I should not use determiner with access.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    1. Okay, You mean an is not appropriate in my sentence, and it should be omitted because access is used in the sentence which is uncountable, so I should not use determiner with access.

Yes, in your sentence "access" is not some specific "way in" as in example #2 below, so you should omit the article. You can find out whether a noun is normally uncountable by looking it up in the WR dictionary. You will also find examples of usage:

n.

[uncountable]
    1. the ability or right to enter, approach, or use: Who has access to a computer?
    2. a way or means of approach or entrance: The dead-end street was the only access to their house.

< Previous | Next >