an easy day

Discussion in 'English Only' started by birdman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. birdman

birdman Senior Member

Taipei, Taiwan
    I know the meaning of a long/tough/busy day.
    How to describe a day opposite to long/tough/busy?

I had a short/easy day? Sounds weird.

2. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    I'd say "I had a slack day today." (A fairly casual expression)

You could also say "There wasn't a lot going on today" or "I didn't have a lot on today."

Edit - You're right in that "short day" doesn't sound good. You can't use "short" to mean a day without a lot of work, since it simply means you didn't work very many hours. On the other day "We had an easy day today" doesn't sound that bad.

3. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Senior Member

Australia
    Canada, English
    Easy doesn't sound too bad to me.

I also personally say things like "breezy day" or "cruisy day" or "lazy day" or even "boring day".

4. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    I had a hard day.
    I had an easy day.

Both sound perfectly natural to me.
    JD

5. cruxcriticorum Senior Member

United States, English
    I might say one of the following:

"Today was pretty laid-back." This is a casual expression, which seems appropriate given the topic :). It means nothing really exciting happened.

"I had a nice, quiet, relaxing day." I sprawled out on a lawn chair next to the pool and sipped piña coladas :cool:. If you wanted to use just one of these adjectives, I think relaxing would work best.

As far as "I had a short day," I would agree with cycloneviv: It means you only worked a partial shift (4 hours instead of 8, for example).
    "I had an easy day" sounds natural to me as well, but I would probably never use it myself.