an easy reading / reader

Peterpant

Spanish Spain
Hi, could you please tell me which word should I use in this sentence? "I recommend this book because it's an easy reading / reader". Thanks.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us some context, Peterpant. Are you talking about a book for children who are just learning to read? Or is the book for adults?

Peterpant

Spanish Spain
    Is there any difference between a book for children or for adults when talking about a reader? <-----Spanish phrase removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Let's deal with your original question first, Peterpant. In your example sentence, were you referring to a book for children, or one for adults?

Myridon

English - US
    It's easy to read.
    Very casual: It's an easy read.
    A reader is a book used to teach reading to young children. "See the dog. See the dog run."

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As Myridon explained, we use the word "reader" to refer to a specific type of book designed to teach children how to read. (You might use the same type of book to teach an illiterate adult to read, but it would be a little odd, because the content is aimed at children.)

A book that is "an easy read" is a book that is not difficult to read, whatever the age group it's aimed at.

That is why we have asked you to tell us what you want your sentence to mean. It can't refer to both concepts at the same time.

[Cross-posted with Myridon]

< Previous | Next >