an ecstatic patron of recurrent light

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "an ecstatic patron of recurrent light" means in the following sentences:

"It's stopped raining."
"Has it?" When he realized what I was talking about, that there were twinkle-bells of sunshine in the room, he smiled like a weather man, like an ecstatic patron of recurrent light, and repeated the news to Daisy. "What do you think of that?"

This is an excerpt from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Gatsby finally met Daisy after nearly five years in Nick's house. Although the two felt very awkward at first, by the time it has stopped raining, they were enjoying their reunion.

I could not understand what is an ecstatic patron of recurrent light in this context.
I would very much appreciate your help.

• Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear bennymix and andrewg927,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    So 'a weather man' and 'an ecstatic patron of recurrent light' are appositive nouns.
    But may I ask, how could he have been described as a customer here? If it was the electric light, that would be a different story, but I think that it is the sunlight—the public property—that was being referred to.

It does not say he was a customer! A patron is someone who helps, protects, etc.

From Free Dictionary dot com.

1. One that supports, protects, or champions someone or something, such as an institution, event, or cause; a sponsor or benefactor:

Last edited:

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear bennymix,

Thank you for the additional explanation.
    Then would it be all right to see 'a weather man' as the protector of reappeared sunlight?
    Although a weather man could not literally "protect" the sunlight, he is delighted to see the sunlight again; would that do for a patron?

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear bennymix,

Oh, that was the idea! Now I think I grasped it. :)
    Thank you very much for letting me know.

< Previous | Next >