an elaborate version of fetch

Multiplex

Spanish - Spain
I found this joke and I wasn't able to fully understand the meaning "fetch" has here. After taking a look at a number of dictionaries and posts, my guess is that it means "trendy, fashionable, superficial things".

Could anyone please explain it to me?

Thank you!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please post the sentence you are asking about, rather than linking to it. Forum members should not have to click on a link in order to understand your question.

Also, this thread may help:

Fetch

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The link goes to a page on the google.books.es site, so it gave me an error message in Spanish. If the OP can access that page, perhaps he or she could copy the text of the joke and paste it here. Without that, we don't know what the question is about.

Multiplex

Spanish - Spain
    The sentence is "I got into the human world to find purpose, but this whole thing is just an elaborate version of fetch".
    Sorry :(

Multiplex

Spanish - Spain
    Also, this thread may help:
    Fetch
    Hm.
    In the joke, there is a man and a dog, both wearing suits and briefcases, and it's the dog who says that sentence. I see your point.
    So does it mean life is like playing fetch? And the dog is there to help you get that meaning out of "fetch"? Or people-in-suits' jobs are like playing fetch? Or are there two meanings, one of them being that one, and the other ...?

kentix

English - U.S.
    The man (and dog) are carrying briefcases, implying they are working in the corporate world.

The game of fetch involves doing the same thing over and over without having anything to show for it when you're done. The dog is probably saying he thinks that is what corporate life is like. You do the same thing over and over with nothing real to show for it. You don't gain a sense of purpose.

Multiplex

Spanish - Spain
    The man (and dog) are carrying briefcases, implying they are working in the corporate world.

The game of fetch involves doing the same thing over and over without having anything to show for it when you're done. The dog is probably saying he thinks that is what corporate life is like. You do the same thing over and over with nothing real to show for it. You don't gain a sense of purpose.
    What a great explanation. Thank you.

And thank you too for posting the image (I didn't manage) and all your previous tips.

You're awesome, WR users!

< Previous | Next >