<an> energy-saving mode

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Robot Anita says:
-- I put myself in an energy-saving mode during charging.
Humans, TV series

That means that she has several energy-saving modes, right? Thanks.

• Loob

English UK
    I agree with JS.

"An energy-saving mode" = "a mode that saves energy".

Loob

English UK
    Possible but unlikely, Vic.

I'd say the main alternative to the original would be "I put myself in energy-saving mode" - no article.
    (That would, incidentally, imply that there was only one energy-saving mode.)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Possible but unlikely, Vic.

I'd say the main alternative to the original would be "I put myself in energy-saving mode" - no article.
    (That would, incidentally, imply that there was only one energy-saving mode.)
    Yes, I like the zero-article option too:)

But what's confusing me is that with "a", it looks like some story/tale where this mode is being introduced. While in the OP context, there must be several already-established and known to the user and robot modes. In which case, I thought "the" fits better...:confused:

Loob

English UK
    Well, you might be right with your "story-telling" theory, Vic. I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think this is Anita the robot describing what she's doing to one of the children?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    While in the OP context, there must be several already-established and known to the user and robot modes.
    IS that assertion based on what has gone before in the series/episode? It could be that the user is being told something not previously known - there is a mode that is energy-saving and I use it when XYZ"

(Is the series worth watching??)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    A teen boy, feeling sexual attraction to Anita, comes up to her while she's sitting charging, touches her hand, and she suddenly comes to consciousness. He, scared:
    -- (.........) I thought you were, like, hibernating or...
    -- I put myself in an energy-saving mode during charging.
    :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    (Is the series worth watching??)
    After reading about it here, I watched season 1 episodes 1-4 yesterday. They are on youtube, and free. It is quite interesting, with several story lines, each given some time in each episode.

But the next free one is #7. There's a website you can "register" at to watch #5 (and perhaps #6), but I am wary about such websites, and have not "made an account" with them yet.

< Previous | Next >