an essay <to><for> the world

< Previous | Next >

Latino24

Español mexicano
I still don't know for sure when to use TO and when to use FOR.

I would like to know the right preposition for the following examples.

1) CONTEXT: a scholar writes an essay about the importance of fighting global warming. His target audience is the whole world.
"This is an essay for the world" or "This is an essay to the world"
Meaning that he wants the whole world to read it.

2) A man kills another man because the latter killed his sister. Before putting a bullet in his head, he tells him:
"This is for killing my sister!"
Is "for" the right preposition to use in this case?

3) When you have an ability to do something easily, you say that doing X is easy for or to you? Examples:
-I play piano since I was 4 years old. Learning new songs is very easy for/to me.
-He speaks several languages, so learning a new one is really easy for/to him.

I would use FOR for all my examples, but somehow, TO doesn't sound bad for all of them, so I have my doubts.

I would appreciate if you could tell me when to use which one and why. Is there a general rule to know/for knowing that?

As always, thank you so much for your help.

• owlman5

English-US
    1. Either preposition is possible. I'd probably use "for" instead of "to", but others might well choose "to". Sometimes there is no answer that is clearly right or wrong. "For" indicates "for the benefit of the world." "To" doesn't carry that meaning as strongly.

2. Yes.

3. Both are possible, I suppose, but "for" sounds ordinary.

Latino24

Español mexicano
    1. Either preposition is possible. I'd probably use "for" instead of "to", but others might well choose "to". Sometimes there is no answer that is clearly right or wrong. "For" indicates "for the benefit of the world." "To" doesn't carry that meaning as strongly.

2. Yes.

3. Both are possible, I suppose, but "for" sounds ordinary.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >