an estranger on a pale horse –or in a dark green GMC pickup.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by glorich, Jul 2, 2008.

1. glorich New Member

spanish

Buenos días a todos,
    Estoy intentando traducir un texto sobre el argumento de la película los puentes de mádison y estoy un poco bloqueada.......

It tells of a marriage and a family, solid enough despite all its
    frustrations, that is threatened by the arrival of an estranger on a pale horse –or in a dark green GMC pickup. He faces a sense of loss and some old ghost into the open, but in the end bows out so the family can come back together

Cuenta la historia de un matrimonio y una familia, bastante sólida a pesar de todas sus frustraciones, que se encuentra amenazada por la llegada de un extraño que bien parece la muerte, o en un pick up GMC verde oscuro....se enfrenta a un sentimiento de pérdida y de viejo fantasma descubierto pero al final.......

Muchas gracias por la ayuda y un saludo!

2. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    At first I thought "estranger" was a typo for "stranger," but after reading the full sentence, I think it's supposed to mean "enajenador" (a person who causes estrangement). The beginning of the second sentence doesn't make sense to me - "He faces a sense of loss and some old ghost into the open (?)." I also don't see where you got "que bien parece la muerte." Perhaps, "... la llegada de un enajenador montando un caballo claro - o en un pick up GMC verde oscuro.

3. glorich New Member

spanish
    Thank you for your answer.
    How would you translate a estranger on a pale horse???

4. dame50 Senior Member

Chile - Español, Deutsch, English
    is not enajenador, i only know that word in legal vocabulary and has to do with property.
    I would say extraño.
    Regarding the rest, wait for more answers.
    dm50

5. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    It's a play on words that draws a comparison between Clint Eastwood's role in this movie with his prior roles as a cowboy. Clint Eastwood was always the "stranger" who rode into town on a pale horse. I didn't see the movie you're writing about, but I'm assuming that Clint Eastwood is an "estranger" who rides into town in a GMC pickup. I've never seen the noun "estranger" before, but it comes from the verb "to estrange," which means to alienate (enajenar? distanciar?), so I'm guessing that he is someone who causes an estrangement in the family. Pale refers to the color of the horse - claro, no oscuro. I believe Clint Eastwood always rode a pale colored horse (he made a movie called Pale Rider).

6. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Book of Revelation, 6:8:

I looked, and there was a pale horse, and its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him. They were given authority over one-fourth of the earth to kill people using wars, famines, plagues, and the wild animals of the earth.