An exclamation used to inspire the young to kiss

< Previous | Next >
Dear friends!

In Russia when people get married they usually register their marriage in a matrimonial palace or wedding house as it is sometimes called. After that they usually come to one of the places in the city center to celebrate their wedding. There they usually drink champagne, break glasses with such drinks over a stone, dance, sing, take photos, play the fool and, above all, kiss. In our country when guests present at a wedding want the young to kiss each other, they usually shout an exclamation. I cannot say what it sounds in Russian because here we use English only, but I can translate it literally: "Bitter! Bitter! Bitter!" They shout this word many times before they start kissing and when they are already kissing. Sometimes they start counting seconds if the young have already been kissing for a long time.

What do YOU normally shout in Britain and the USA when you want to see the young kissing each other?

Best

• tannen2004

English/USA
    In the US, we don't usually shout anything. The custom here is to tap a glass with a knife, spoon or fork so it rings. When this happens the bride and groom are supposed to kiss.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It's not that we don't have a word for it, more that it's not part of our culture to encourage the couple to kiss. But on the odd occasion when I have come across a mass exhortation to a marital kiss it has, simply, consisted of a chanted "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" repeated rhythmically until the couple yield.

se16teddy

English - England
    In the US, we don't usually shout anything. The custom here is to tap a glass with a knife, spoon or fork so it rings. When this happens the bride and groom are supposed to kiss.
    I've never heard that before.
    it's not part of our culture to encourage the couple to kiss
    Yes - you are more likely to hear people sing "Get a room, get a room, get a room!" if they see a couple getting too amorous.

< Previous | Next >