an existence more expansive and stirring than my own: as much more so as ...

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 25

Quotation: Yesterday I trusted well in Providence, and believed that events were working together for your good and mine: it was a fine day, if you recollect—the calmness of the air and sky forbade apprehensions respecting your safety or comfort on your journey. I walked a little while on the pavement after tea, thinking of you; and I beheld you in imagination so near me, I scarcely missed your actual presence. I thought of the life that lay before me—your life, sir—an existence more expansive and stirring than my own: as much more so as the depths of the sea to which the brook runs are than the shallows of its own strait channel. I wondered why moralists call this world a dreary wilderness: for me it blossomed like a rose.

Context: Jane began to confide what happened last night to Mr. R. They would be married the next day.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

Existence => mode or way of existing => life
More expansive => broader
Stirring => w. rousing, exciting, or thrilling:

As much more => I should have been glad of [as much more]
as much more = the same amount as I had already had.
The whole sentence => …a life (= your life) was broader and more exciting than my own (life) to the same degree that the depths of the sea to which (=the sea) the brook runs were broader and more exciting than the shallow of its own (=the brook's own) strait channel

• < Previous | Next >