an explicit plan

Julieonline

chinese
Hi,

I am trying to learn the word "explicit."
I often see this word being used to describe something obvious/clearly expressed/not hidden, as in "explicit instructions" or "a sexually explicit novel."
One of the definitions I came across on thefreedictionary.com says "Fully developed or formulated: has an explicit idea of what to say in the paper. "

Could you someone elaborate on this definition? What does "explicit" mean in "an explicit idea"?

Thanks,
Julie

• Uncle Jack

British English
    What does "explicit" mean in "an explicit idea"?
    Fully developed or formulated. What don't you understand? OED gives a slightly different definition:
    Of knowledge, an idea, etc.: developed in detail; (hence) clear, definite, plain.​

This usage is rare in modern English, and I do not recommend you use it yourself. "Definite" would be the word I would have chosen in your example.

Julieonline

chinese
    Fully developed or formulated. What don't you understand? OED gives a slightly different definition:
    Of knowledge, an idea, etc.: developed in detail; (hence) clear, definite, plain.​

This usage is rare in modern English, and I do not recommend you use it yourself. "Definite" would be the word I would have chosen in your example.
    Thanks! I wish the dictionary would not that this is a rarely used definition. I have never seen it used this way.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I wish the dictionary would note that this is a rarely used definition.
    This is a common complaint of most dictionaries, but in any case I would not recommend using dictionaries to see how words are used. Their purpose is to discover the meaning of an unfamiliar word you have found in something you have read. Since, if you need to look the word up in a dictionary, there is every chance that the meaning is unusual, it is important that dictionaries include unusual meanings of words, as well as everyday meanings.

Julieonline

chinese
    This is a common complaint of most dictionaries, but in any case I would not recommend using dictionaries to see how words are used. Their purpose is to discover the meaning of an unfamiliar word you have found in something you have read. Since, if you need to look the word up in a dictionary, there is every chance that the meaning is unusual, it is important that dictionaries include unusual meanings of words, as well as everyday meanings.
    True!
    I guess that is just something I have to reconcile with when trying to study English by plodding through a dictionary.

< Previous | Next >