an expression with the word sandwich and bite

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Sep 20, 2011.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    I am looking for an expression which I remember a few words of it like sandwich, should have a bite, everyone. It means that everybody is faulty if something bad or good happens. Could you please tell me the complete expression?

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Another Country
    English English
    Please give us an actual context (a made-up one will do), preferably with a sentence in which the expression you're looking for should fit.

3. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    I cannot remember the full expression which I heard once. One friend just used it and I cannot contact him again to ask about that. He used it as a proverb in a single sentence . I just can remember some words like everyone should have a bite (This is the end of the expression) and for the first part, it has the word SANDWICH. It was something like: If there is a sandwich everyone should have a bite. But I am sure that expression was not the one I wrote here.
    by the way, that friend is from Scotland. Maybe it helps.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Maybe: "Life [or whatever] is a :warning: shit sandwich and everybody has to take a bite."

5. Fabulist Banned

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Yuck! That's a new one on me. It's like "Life's a bitch, then you die."

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    "This is a lousy situation and we are all going to have to shoulder some of the burden." This translates into: "This is one big shit sandwich and we are all going to have to take a bite."

Note: A "shit sandwich" is a way of dressing up something (shit) to seem more palatable that it would otherwise be. And the more bread you use, the less you are supposed to taste the shit.

Example: While it is true that I smashed up your Cadillac Escalade, but at least you won't have to feed gas to that beast anymore--it got what? Eight miles to the gallon. On the bright side you can now get that Toyota Prius that you've had your heart set on.

The "shit": I smashed up your Cadillac...

The "bread": Everything else in that quotation.

7. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian (Farsi)
    Yes that's it. thank you all. It was a long time I was looking for this expression.