An hors d'oeuvre reception

emilyrose

English, USA
How would you say "an hors-d'oeuvre reception" where in English "hors d'oeuvre" is being used as an adjective?

Would it be grammatically correct to say "une réception d'amuse-bouches"?

• tilt

French French
    Une réception d'amuse-bouche is grammatically correct, but doesn't make any sense.

I guess what you refer to is un buffet, but according to the context, it might also be un apéritif, un pot, un cocktail...
    Give us more context, please.

floise

U.S.;English
    I guess what you refer to is un buffet, but according to the context, it might also be un apéritif, un pot, un cocktail...
    Give us more context, please.
    Tilt,

Could 'cocktail dînatoire' be used or does it usually involve more food than simply 'amuse-gueules'?

I looked up a few online menus for 'cocktail dînatoire' and it seems that it can vary from appetizers and finger foods to buffet tables heaping with choices.

I removed the links because they are commercial links, but you can do a google search for 'cocktail dînatoire' and find sample menus.

floise

tilt

French French
    My suggestion of un buffet is not that good, finally, as un buffet usually includes starter, main and dessert. It's is a real meal where you help yourself.

About the suggestions made, here are the way I understand the terms:
    Un apéritif is supposed to precede a real meal (appetizers)
    Un apéritif dînatoire it is intended to be copious enough to replace a meal (appetizers, finger food)
    Un cocktail is a classy apéritif (more sophisticated food and drinks).

Reconsidering Emilyrose's question, cocktail dînatoire would probably fit, because hors-d'oeuvre reception (I bet such a French noun to refer to a reception implies something quite refined :D).

Ah, Floise...
    The mods will probably remove the links you gave, as they are commercial ones.

< Previous | Next >