an idiom for a phrase

honey-heni

persian
Hi everybody
Is there any idiom in English which means something like "stand in a way that your face is in front of mine so that we can see each other" or "stand face to face with me"?
Thanks in advance

• Copyright

American English
    Stand face to face.
    See eye to eye.

But they don't meet the same thing. In your case, you'll want the first one. And if you have a sentence for it, we can help you decide how to use it best.

honey-heni

persian
    Stand face to face.
    See eye to eye.

But they don't meet the same thing. In your case, you'll want the first one. And if you have a sentence for it, we can help you decide how to use it best.
    Thank you so much. For example, I want to say someone to turn around in a way that he stands in front of me and I can see his/ her face.
    does "eye to eye" mean look at each other?

Copyright

American English
    To see eye to eye means to be in agreement.

Here, I think you want something like, "He turned suddenly and we were face to face." Or, "I round the corner and came face to face with the one person I wanted to avoid."

You can put face to face in the Search box, hit Enter, and under the term you will find an "in context" link. Click that and you'll see "face to face" in contemporary context.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    In what context do you want to speak to that person?

If it is to someone who's behaving evasively, perhaps "Look me in the eye" is what you want. Don't turn away. Look me in the eye and answer my question.

honey-heni

persian
    To see eye to eye means to be in agreement.

Here, I think you want something like, "He turned suddenly and we were face to face." Or, "I round the corner and came face to face with the one person I wanted to avoid."

You can put face to face in the Search box and under it you will find an "in context" link. Click that and you'll see "face to face" in contemporary context.
    Thank you so much.

honey-heni

persian
    In what context do you want to speak to that person?

If it is to someone who's behaving evasively, perhaps "Look me in the eye" is what you want. Don't turn away. Look me in the eye and answer my question.
    Thank you for your consideration and helpful explanation

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I think all you want is "face me." Don't stand (or sit) so that you are facing in some other direction. Face me when you talk to me.

If you want to imply more, there are any number of idioms and some have been discussed here. But if you just want the person to turn his head and/or body so that you can easily see each others faces, all you need is face me.

honey-heni

persian
    I think all you want is "face me." Don't stand (or sit) so that you are facing in some other direction. Face me when you talk to me.

If you want to imply more, there are any number of idioms and some have been discussed here. But if you just want the person to turn his head and/or body so that you can easily see each others faces, all you need is face me.
    Great! thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >