An idiom to mean: to accept / expand someone's statements in formal speech

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everyone

Let's assume you and someone else (say: Dr. Adam) are giving speech in a meeting. Dr. Adam says something and after his remarks and statements, you'd like to say:

1. I accept Dr. Adam's statements and as a proof to this fact I would like to say that...
Note: here you just want to approve Dr. Adam's statements and add some and continue your own words and where the emphasis is on "approval" rather than "expansion"? Also, I need to start the sentence with "to"! "To approve what Dr. Adam mentioned..." or "in order to approve what Dr. Adam mentioned..."

Or

1. I accept Dr. Adam's words and just in order to add some more points to his previously mentioned statements I would like to say that...
How can you summarize the above phrases using an idiom or expression?

E.g. regarding #2. I know the structure: "To amplify one's statements", which I don't know whether it encompasses all my intention.

Please kindly let me know about them.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Amplify", "expand on" and "echo" are good choices, indicating agreement and that you are going to say something further on the matter. "Amplify" and "expand on" say you are going to add to the information already given, and echo says you are going to repeat it in a different way:
    To amplify/expand on/echo what Dr Adam has just said...​
    I would like to amplify/expand on/echo what Dr Adam has just said...​

If all you want to do is express agreement, then "concur" is a good verb.
    I concur with what Dr Adam has just said.​

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It is rude to announce to an audience that you "accept" Dr. Adam's words. Who asked you to evaluate his words? Each audience member can do that privately -- each can have their own opinion. Your opinion isn't "better" than someone else's opinion. If you think it is, you're an egotist.

In this situation, I would say "I would like to add that..." and then express my own ideas.

The fact that you are adding your ideas to his ideas implies that you agree with his ideas.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    It is rude to announce to an audience that you "accept" Dr. Adam's words. Who asked you to evaluate his words? Each audience member can do that privately -- each can have their own opinion. Your opinion isn't "better" than someone else's opinion. If you think it is, you're an egotist.

In this situation, I would say "I would like to add that..." and then express my own ideas.

The fact that you are adding your ideas to his ideas implies that you agree with his ideas.
    "Amplify", "expand on" and "echo" are good choices, indicating agreement and that you are going to say something further on the matter. "Amplify" and "expand on" say you are going to add to the information already given, and echo says you are going to repeat it in a different way:
    To amplify/expand on/echo what Dr Adam has just said...
    I would like to amplify/expand on/echo what Dr Adam has just said...

If all you want to do is express agreement, then "concur" is a good verb.
    I concur with what Dr Adam has just said.
    Hello and Thank you very much UJ for your perfect and truly helpful answer. :)

Well Dojibear
    Thank you for the answer, but how would you use verbs like "amplify" or "expand on" and "echo" in this senses in AE? :confused:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    If your ideas are the same as Dr. Adam's ideas, then "expand on" and "amplify" are correct. Both "amplify" and "expand on" mean "here is more about what the same ideas imply".

If your ideas are different (but compatible) then you are "adding" your ideas to his ideas.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    "To endorse Dr. Adam's [theories/statements], I would add..." could work.
    Thank you Franco :)
    Could you please tell me more about the meaning and usage of this phrase? I have never seen and heard it before and cannot find any reliable source explaining it.

If your ideas are the same as Dr. Adam's ideas, then "expand on" and "amplify" are correct. Both "amplify" and "expand on" mean "here is more about what the same ideas imply".

If your ideas are different (but compatible) then you are "adding" your ideas to his ideas.
    And what about "echo" dojibear? How does it differ in meaning?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Echo" is an metaphor or analogy to an actual echo, which is an exact copy of your voice.

If you '"echo what Dr. Adams just said", you say the same idea using different words. You do this to reinforce what he said, but it may be useful to some listeners in the audience: they might understand the idea better, in different words.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    "Echo" is an metaphor or analogy to an actual echo, which is an exact copy of your voice.

If you '"echo what Dr. Adams just said", you say the same idea using different words. You do this to reinforce what he said, but it may be useful to some listeners in the audience: they might understand the idea better, in different words.
    But we have two ways in Farsi to say that which are quite polite and formal and mostly used in a very polite conversation between two or more people or in a speech. When you are going to respectfully say:

(1.) I see eye to eye with Dr. Smith and I just want to add some more points...

I think the only choice that works here is:

to "echo" Dr. Adam's statements, I 'd like to add...

-------------------------------------------------

(2). I see eye to eye with Dr. Adam and I just want to add some more points.
    I think in this sense both of the following phrases work interchangeably.

a. to "amplify" Dr. Adam's statements, I 'd like to add...
    b. to "expand on" Dr. Adam's statements, I 'd like to add...

However I was wondering if you could correct me if I've been mistaken.

< Previous | Next >