an immense convent without cloister

A. R. Q.

Arabic
Please, How should I understand "cloister" in this sentence:

the Mystics made the empire an immense convent without cloister?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • A. R. Q.

Arabic
    thank you for response,

the context is:

These books have carried the Masarrian {= of Ibn Masarra, a Muslim Mystic} spirit to the Süfi orders of Persia and India, and have inspired, even unconsciously, the extravagances and superstitions of the innumerable religious brotherhoods which made of the Moroccan empire an immense convent without cloister.

only want to know the exact meaning of the last phrase

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Is your problem with the literal meaning of the phrase, or with its metaphorical sense? In other words, would you understand "In the center of the city, near the cathedral, the Dominican monks lived in an immense convent without a cloister"?

lingobingo

English - England
    … the innumerable religious brotherhoods which made of the Moroccan empire an immense convent without cloister.

It’s a sort of metaphor. The meaning is that because there were so many “religious brotherhoods”, the whole empire became lke a convent/monastery, but not one cloistered (hidden away) within its own walls.

A. R. Q.

Arabic

Glenfarclas

for me, the word cloister has two probable meanings: 1- the special part or room of a monastery, 2- and a monastic life. in your opinion, which of them is more proper here?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    My take on the meaning of "cloister" in this context is not the inner courtyard of a convent or monastery, but the convent/monastery building itself (this is also one of the standard meanings)
    In the metaphorical sense, the empire as a whole is likened to a virtual convent, without a building.

< Previous | Next >