an important part of their workforce at high levels at various times

Kelago

Hungarian
What does the underlined part of the sentence mean? The whole sentence: "It's a tough situation, they have to respect their religious leaders, and want to have a modern, functioning country at the same time, and women here have always been well educated, and an important part of their workforce at high levels at various time."
She speaks about women in Iran, who protest in the street against new rules which cut their rights.
Thanks

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    and they (women) are an important part of their (the Iranians') workforce

EDIT: I should have glossed the sentence as and they (women) have been an important part of their (the Iranians') workforce

Last edited:

MarcB

US English
    High levels indicates the fact that they did not only occupy low level jobs. At various times means past and present possibly changing from time to time.

Kelago

Hungarian
    High levels indicates the fact that they did not only occupy low level jobs. At various times means past and present possibly changing from time to time.
    What is changing from time to time? Could it mean something like: and they are an important part of the Iranian workforce on all levels in the present as in the past?

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I misled you by saying "are an important part". I should have said have been an important part, because it's describing the status of Iranian women in the past as well as in the present (=at various times). As marcB says, the status of women in Iran has been different at different times in the past.

Kelago

Hungarian
    I misled you by saying "are an important part". I should have said have been an important part, because it's describing the status of Iranian women in the past as well as in the present (=at various times). As marcB says, the status of women in Iran has been different at different times in the past.
    OK, thank you!

< Previous | Next >