an in-and -out punch

raffavita

italian
Hi,
can anybody help me translate this sentence into Italian?

Here is the context:

A policeman has been hit in the leg during a gunfight. His collegue has died and he regrets not having been the one to die.
"But he'd gotten off with a bullet in the leg, and a second, in-and-out punch in the side juste above the waist, just enough to take him down, slow him down, so Jack had gone in first."

My try: "Invece (ma) se l'era cavata con una pallottola nella gamba e un secondo "in-and-out cazzotto (or another bullet?) a un fianco, appena sopra la cintola. Abbastanza per mandarlo a terra (?), per farlo rallentare. E così Jack se n'era andato per primo (nel senso figurato di morire).

What does "in-and-out punch" mean? Is the "punch" another term for "bullet" (which would justify the word "second") or a "pugno, cazzotto"?

Thank you in advance.
Raffa

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I've never heard this expression, raffavita. I suspect the writer is just being descriptive about a second bullet that went right through the flesh (perhaps in through the front and out through the back) without hitting any organs. But that's a guess!

Elisabetta

raffavita

italian
    I think you're right.
    It must be a metaphor.
    Thank you very much.
    It's very difficult to translate it, anyway.
    Raffa:)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I assume "in and out" means a bullet wound, it went through the skin and out the other side as bullets sometimes do.

I assume "punch" represents the feeling of a "punch", are you sure it isn't "puncture", because that would also fit quite well here, and it sounds similar.

But it's not regular English and it seems it can be open to interpretation.

< Previous | Next >