An in-depth knowledge of

Allegro molto

Japanese
Hello

A. They had extensive knowledge of ‘best buy’ food and food shops within their areas.
B. And she acquired an in-depth knowledge of the hotel business.

Why did the writer use the indefinite article in B, while in A it is not used?

Thank you

• Cameljockey

British English
    In-depth infers deep knowledge in a subject which has complexities or subtleties. Extensive infers more breath of knowledge, covering a wider but shallower area rather than a deep insight into a particular field.

It's the difference between the words depth and extent.

I say infers because the two often seem to be used interchangably.

Last edited:

b1947420

British English
    Hello

A. They had extensive knowledge of ‘best buy’ food and food shops within their areas.
    B. And she acquired an in-depth knowledge of the hotel business.

Thank you
    I would say that in the first example the knowledge is extensive but general across the subject.
    In the second I read this as having particular knowledge of the hotel business.

EStjarn

Spanish
    Because the noun knowledge is uncountable, you'd expect it to not be preceded by the indefinite article. But there are exceptions to this rule. Here's from the grammar:

"With certain uncountable nouns - especially nouns referring to human emotions and mental activity - we often use a/an when we are limiting their meaning in some way: We need a secretary with a first-class knowledge of German. (Not ...with first-class knowledge of German.) She has always had a deep distrust of strangers. My parents wanted me to have a good education. You've been a great help. I need a good sleep." (Swan, 2005).

< Previous | Next >