An individual may accomplish nothing, but together we may accomplish something

lavalier

English-US
I would like to re-pose a question by Cullen27, who originally asked how to say "the slightest of difference." His context was:
"What I'm trying to say is 'together, we can make the slightest of differences'
And what I've got is 'ensemble, nous pourrions faire la moindre des différences'"

He has communicated that what he'd really like to say is the phrase in the title of this thread. According to the rules, I'm proposing my own français approximatif with the hope that I will be corrected:

Nos possibilités comme individus sont limités; mais tous ensembles, notre potentiel est infini.

??? There must be a more elegant way to state this.

Last edited:
  • Micia93

France French
    I would like to re-pose a question by Cullen27, who originally asked how to say "the slightest of difference." His context was:
    "What I'm trying to say is 'together, we can make the slightest of differences'
    And what I've got is 'ensemble, nous pourrions faire la moindre des différences'"

He has communicated that what he'd really like to say is the phrase in the title of this thread. According to the rules, I'm proposing my own français approximatif with the hope that I will be corrected:

Nos accomplissements comme individus sont limités; mais tous ensemble, notre potentiel est infini.

??? There must be a more elegant way to state this.
    my try :
    "il se peut qu'un individu ne puisse rien accomplir du tout, mais plusieurs individus ont plus de chance d'accomplir quelque chose"
    I'm not that satisfied though :(

lavalier

English-US
    Thank you Micia and exiled Scot! I personally like the idea of a united front, as I thought Cullen27 wanted to express the idea of community, nation, human community. "L'union fait la force" are the words I'd choose, with either of your first phrases. It reminds me of the old phrase of American revolutionaries (forgive me, exiled Scot) who said that "we must all hang together or we shall all hang separately."

Now, how to communicate this to Cullen27? I left word on his original thread "the slightest of differences," which he later said was far from what he wanted to communicate. Will my message on his old thread get through?

< Previous | Next >