an interesting last weekend

< Previous | Next >

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
Hi all,

I don't know if my sentence sounds correct.
I know that I can say- my last weekend was interesting. However, I am not sure about the sentence below.

"I had an interesting last weekend."

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In AE you separate the 2 uses of "weekend" and say:

I had an interesting weekend, last weekend.

Here "last weekend" is a time phrase, meaning the previous Sunday and Saturday.

You cannot "have" that. But you can "have" an interesting weekend.

Uncle Jack

British English

We are clearly less precise over on this side of the Atlantic, where the two "weekend"s can be combined into one (although they rarely are; the word "last" is rarely used.

What would you say if it was the last weekend within a previous period of time? Suppose the person was describing a vacation they took the previous month, perhaps saying, "Nothing particularly exciting happened in the whole three weeks, but I had an interesting last weekend".

Peter_Gabriel

Polish

thanks for your comment! What did you mean by "You cannot "have" that" ?

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    We are clearly less precise over on this side of the Atlantic, where the two "weekend"s can be combined into one (although they rarely are; the word "last" is rarely used.

What would you say if it was the last weekend within a previous period of time? Suppose the person was describing a vacation they took the previous month, perhaps saying, "Nothing particularly exciting happened in the whole three weeks, but I had an interesting last weekend".
    I would use that sentence. It's obvious from the context that I am not speaking from the grave (although I might feel like that now that I am back at work :D). It wasn't my last weekend ever in my whole life, but it was the last weekend (ever) of that particular vacation.

Andygc

British English
    The problem here is that the OP provides no context. To me (and sdgraham), the bald statement "I had an interesting last weekend." means that I'm going to die before there is another weekend. Add Uncle Jack's vacation context and it becomes a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

That's perhaps why the forum guidance on asking questions asks for context and background. :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >