an interesting story of your job

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

My cousin is a nurse and she's been working for 20 years. She said sometimes funny and interesting things happen to her when she's at work.

I said:
Can you tell me an interesting story of your job?

I want her to tell me a funny thing that happened when she was at work.
She said: One day, I was going to check on a patient, then .....
Does the highlighted part sound OK in English?

Thanks.

• Linkway

British English
    I suggest it would be better not to use "story of your job". That sounds as though you are asking about how she first got the job or how the job develop over the years.

Perhaps, "incident" might be more suitable, or more broadly "something that happened".

Can you tell me something interesting that happened at work?

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I suggest anecdote, as per this WR definition:
    an•ec•dote /ˈænɪkˌdoʊt/ n. [countable]
    1. a short story about an interesting or amusing incident or event, often biographical.
    Do you have any anecdotes relating to / concerning your job?

Linkway

British English
    I also thought of "anecdote", but that is often used to mean a joke, or fictitious story, rather than recounting something that actually happened.

heypresto

English - England
    I always think of anecdotes as being true interesting and/or amusing stories - usually of an incident experienced by the speaker.

When you are in your anecdotage you have quite a few to tell. :)

Yes, I would use "about".

Also, "anecdote" to me sounds way too formal for casual conversation, and I'm not sure all native speakers would even know that word.

I'd just say something close to your own statement in your OP:

"Tell me a funny story about something that happened/ at your job/when you were working." is probably how I'd say it.

suzi br

English / England
    Yes, I would use "about".

Also, "anecdote" to me sounds way too formal for casual conversation, and I'm not sure all native speakers would even know that word.
    Really?
    It seems a pretty everyday word to me. Maybe more common in the UK than the US?

Really.

And for some other people I'd put it into the category of "passive" vocabulary, completely understood upon hearing in some formal speech setting or from having seen it written many times, but virtually absent in regular speech.

Maybe, but just maybe, some might, upon hearing it for the first time, instantly grasp its meaning, which is the beauty of languages, but...

Plenty of others won't know what you're talking about and you'd have to be ready for blank stares and/or explanations.

(I'd compare it to suddenly saying "in perpetuity" instead of "forever." :))

Bang the Ham

English - England (London)
    I'd say most people in the UK understand the word anecdote, although I very rarely hear it in informal speech, and use it very rarely myself.
    However, to get back to keramus's question, I'd ask "Tell me about something interesting/funny that happened to you at work".

< Previous | Next >