An introduction

Jignesh77

India- hindi
An essay needs an introduction.

I have been reading and watching about IELTS essay. I have seen the phrase "an introduction" a lot.

Can you have more than one introduction? Why we say "an introduction" and not "the introduction"?

Thanks

• heypresto

English - England
    An essay can have one of many introductions.

Once you have written an introduction it becomes the introduction to the essay. It's now the specific introduction.

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    Thanks. Sorry the context is following:
    I watched a video about TOFEL essay writing in which I came across the following:
    Part one: writing an introduction
    Why can't we use "the" as we are talking about the introduction of a specific essay?

heypresto

English - England
    'Writing the introduction' would also be correct, for the reason you give, but you could write any number of introductions before you settle on one. So it's also correct (and more natural in this context) to say that you write an introduction.

How can "introduction" be countable? I thought it is non count.
    His essay has an introduction, and her essay also has an introduction. Each of the members of the class has written an introduction. That's perhaps 20 or 30 introductions. 'Introduction' is countable.

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    Thanks and how can you have more than one introduction in the given essay? Would you kindly explain how its countable in the given context?

heypresto

English - England
    You can't have more than one introduction in an essay, but as I said above, you can write and choose between any number of introductions before you settle on one and it then becomes 'the' introduction.

Imagine going shopping to buy a shirt. You would say 'I'm going to town to buy a shirt' (not 'the shirt). Once you've bought it, you could say 'Here is the shirt I bought.'

Similarly, you have to write an introduction. Once you've written it, you can say 'This is the introduction I wrote'.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Once you hand the essay to your teacher it is definitely the introduction.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    If you said "writing the introduction" you would be elevating it to a status where it is a special class.

What are the parts of an essay? The introduction, the body, and the conclusion. How do you write an introduction?

< Previous | Next >