An irish saying that goes "A body can get used to anything, even to being hanged"

J.Anne

Korean
Hi, I wonder what the saying below means.

A body can get used to anything, even to being hanged.
Thank you!

• J.Anne

Korean
    Where did you find this saying?
    In a book titled Anne of Green Gables!
    Below are the sentences related.
    To be sure, they seem contented enough; but then, I suppose, they’re used to it. A body can get used to anything, even to being hanged, as the Irishman said.”

Thank you!

The Newt

English - US
    In a book titled Anne of Green Gables!
    Below are the sentences related.
    To be sure, they seem contented enough; but then, I suppose, they’re used to it. A body can get used to anything, even to being hanged, as the Irishman said.”

Thank you!

There's a certain dark humor to it, since one can't, of course, get used to being executed by hanging. It sounds more like Samuel Beckett than L.M. Montgomery!

J.Anne

Korean
    "A body (= a person) can get used to anything." Then the rest is added as a joke.
    Your mentioning Wellerism helped me as well. I didn't know what it was, but now I know and knowing what it is helped me a lot to understand the sentence. Thank you!!

J.Anne

Korean
    I suppose this suggests that it is "Irish logic" - illogical. See this definition of "Irish" In the WordReference dictionary:
    2 (informal, offensive) ludicrous or illogical
    irish - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    A body can get used to anything, even to being hanged, as the Irishman said.... is the original sentence. I supposed the sentence was an Irish proverb from the context. I'll check out "Irish logic". Thank you.