an opportunity too good/easy to pass up on

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hi everyone,

In my native language, there is an idiom that literally translates to "spike a high ball" (the image is one of volleyball or ping-pong, where a ball sent up high is a lot easier to return - and in many cases, to straight out slam against the ground/the table and make it impossible for the opponent to respond). The figurative meaning is using an excellent opportunity which presents itself.

Here are a few examples of what contexts I would use this in (using the literal translation of the idiom since I have nothing better for the time being):

A friend says something which I can turn into a joke against him. I would then say that it was a "high ball".

A member of the government says something which calls into question their own policies without realizing it. A member of the opposition should "spike this high ball" and point this out. For instance, they talk about homeless people being in the streets because of marital abuse and how it's deplorable, all the while they had previously introduced a law making it illegal to be homeless. A member of the opposition who is there should grab the opportunity ("spike the high ball") and call them out on this.

Is there anything similar in English? How would you go about expressing the same idea?
One that comes somewhat close is picking low-hanging fruits (similar imagery), but afaik that particular idiom means something more along the lines of "do what's easiest first" or "go for the easiest/simplest thing".

Thank you in advance.

Edit: got the title wrong, I meant pass up, no on.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A member of the government says something which calls into question their own policies without realizing it. A member of the opposition should "hoist him with his own petard1" and point this out.

1 "meaning: to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or "to fall into one's own trap", implying that one could be lifted (blown) upward by one's own bomb, or in other words, be foiled by one's own plan." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

< Previous | Next >