an organization focused/focusing on

< Previous | Next >

baab

Vietnamese
Amnesty International (commonly known as Amnesty and AI) is a non-governmental organisation focused on human rights with over 3 million members and supporters around the world. The objective of the organisation is "to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated."

Can I use "focusing on" in stead of "focused on" in the sentence above?
Thank you.

• Language Hound

American English
    I prefer "focused on."
    "Focusing on" would make it sound like that is something they are doing at the moment.
    "Focused on" makes it sound like it is their (permanent) mission.

baab

Vietnamese
    Thank you, LH.
    Is it possible to understand "an organization focusing on human rights" as #1 in stead of #2?

1. an organization focusing on human rights = an organization which focuses on human rights
    2. an organization focusing on human rights = an organization which is focusing on human rights

Language Hound

American English
    I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. Is there a typo in #1?

1. an organization focusinged on human rights = an organization which focuses on human rights:tick:
    2. an organization focusing on human rights = an organization which is focusing on human rights :tick:

"An organization focusing on human rights" sounds to me like right now they are focusing on human rights but next month or next year,
    for example, they might be focusing on world hunger or another issue. In other words, it sounds like a temporary focus, not a permanent one.

Have you read through the other threads on "focused on/focusing on"?
    They can be found at the bottom of this WR dictionary page (they are also continued on the next page).
    I think the most helpful one in your case is this one (see post #2): http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/focusing-on-focused-on.2889914/

< Previous | Next >