an organization managed the World Food Program

makeeverything

chinese-english
His visit came as the Food Security Analysis Unit of Somalia, an organization managed the World Food Program, released new figures on the humanitarian situation in Somalia, which it calls one of the worst in the world.

The sentence above is confusing to me. I can distinguish the sentence as follows.
His visit came (as the Food Security Analysis Unit of Somalia, an organization managed the World Food Program, released new figures on the humanitarian situation in Somalia, which it calls one of the worst in the world). But it seems that it is more reasonable that the sentence should be written as "His visit came as the Food Security Analysis Unit of Somalia, an organization managing the World Food Program, released new figures on the humanitarian situation in Somalia, which it calls one of the worst in the world". Since the reason that in one clause it shouldn't have two verbs at the same time, I personally think it is right. But I am not sure about it and I am still confused about it.

• hairlover45

English - American
    I think there is a "by" missing.

"His visit came as the Food Security Analysis Unit of Somalia, an organization managed by the World Food Program ... "

Judging by the names, the World Food Program sounds larger and more general than does the Food Analysis Unit of Somalia.

makeeverything

chinese-english
    Owing to the reason that the sentence is from VOA, I can't be sure whether the sentence is right or not. The sentence is from the passage named UN Envoy Calls Attention to Somalia Humanitarian Crisis.Is the sentence in VOA right all the time?

hairlover45

English - American
    Notwithstanding its source, the sentence is not right. As it appears above, it is not grammatical. Some writers are more careful than others, but anyone, no matter how sedulous, can make a typographical error. Apparently, that is what happened here.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    There is no question which is which. From their Web site:
    Owing to the collapse of the Somali state in the early 1990s, and consequent civil insecurity that caused a devastating famine, the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FSNAU) was created to provide situational analysis on food, nutrition and livelihoods security. Managed by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, FSNAU collects relevant data and analyzes it through a variety of techniques and information processing tools.
    Another error in the original quote is that it's the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit, not the Food Security Analysis Unit. Can you give us a link to the source?

makeeverything

chinese-english
    There is no question which is which. From their Web site:

Another error in the original quote is that it's the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit, not the Food Security Analysis Unit. Can you give us a link to the source?
    I quite agree with you. I just now check the information in wikipedia. It seems that maybe the author have searched in the wikipedia. The link is as follows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Food_Security_Phase_Classification . And "citation needed" is behind the sentence " The IPC was originally developed for use in Somalia by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization’s Food Security Analysis Unit (FSAU)" . This was put forward in July,2011. It is evident that the author didn't pay attention to that.

< Previous | Next >