"an orgy of" banker bashing

< Previous | Next >

m1517luther

Korean
What does "an orgy of" mean? Other than banker bashing, what other common objects follow the phrase "an orgy of"?

**By the way, I listened 3 times to figure out Russell was saying "orgy" instead of "audio" ๏̯͡๏

Source: (Youtube) Russell Brand Lays Into Bankers On Question Time

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    "An orgy of banker bashing" means that a lot of people were insulting or criticizing bankers. You can use "an orgy of X" in figurative language. It means "a lot of X" or "doing X wildly or excessively."

brokentoy

English - British
    What other common objects follow the phrase "an orgy of"? An orgy of complaint letters? An orgy of talent shows?
    I don't think your examples work so well, because it is better applied to an activity (banker-bashing) rather than to discrete things (letters, talent shows).

It suggests that the activity is done (as owlman says) to excess; I would add also that it is done collectively (one can't have an orgy alone!), and perhaps unthinkingly carried on by the temporary enthusiasm of the group. Maybe "an orgy of recrimination" or "an orgy of grief".

Last edited:

Sepia

High German/Danish
    m1517luther,

are you sure you really know what an orgy is in its original meaning? If you check up on that it should be easier to know when and where to use that word.

< Previous | Next >