an otherwise estimable fellow whose hard work may have pushed him over the edge.

hubocfcool

Chinese
This is a paragraph from "Publish and Punish: Science's Snowball Effect" by Jon Van.

"Frank is the University of Iowa physicist whose research led him to declare more than a decade ago that Earth is being bombarded by hundreds of house-sized comets day after day that rain water on our planet and are the reason we have oceans. That weather report caused the widely respected scientist to acquire a certain reputation among his colleagues as a bit unstable, an otherwise estimable fellow whose hard work may have pushed him over the edge."

I really have a hard time understanding this sentence, please help!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It would be helpful if you would tell us what words are giving you trouble, and which words you understand. Then we would know what needs to be explained and what you already understand.

Estimable:
    worthy of esteem;
    deserving respect or admiration.
    The 'edge' here is, figuratively, the line between being normal and being emotionally or psychologically disturbed.

The section you are asking about means something like:
    [Frank] was admirable in other ways, but the stress of his hard work may have caused him to be unstable.

hubocfcool

Chinese
    Thank you for your help! I think I got it! :)
    It would be helpful if you would tell us what words are giving you trouble, and which words you understand. Then we would know what needs to be explained and what you already understand.

Estimable:
    worthy of esteem;
    deserving respect or admiration.
    The 'edge' here is, figuratively, the line between being normal and being emotionally or psychologically disturbed.

The section you are asking about means something like:
    [Frank] was admirable in other ways, but the stress of his hard work may have caused him to be unstable.

< Previous | Next >