an unbidden guest

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether this word is a commonly used word and always connote a negative sense:

"He is an unbidden guest."

• Cardinal101

English - USA
    Hi Sun14- I've never even heard that word before, so I guess it's uncommon! I checked the definition though, and you have used the word correctly. In this context I would say "uninvited guest."

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Cardinal that it's uncommon. I read it every once and again in a "high-end" newspaper/magazine, and every time I think "what does that mean?".

In other words, it's used more in high-end / "intellectual" publications, in my opinion.

"to bid someone an invitation" may be the root.

Sun14

Chinese
    I agree with Cardinal that it's uncommon. I read it every once and again in a "high-end" newspaper/magazine, and every time I think "what does that mean?".

In other words, it's used more in high-end / "intellectual" publications, in my opinion.

"to bid someone an invitation" may be the root.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether this word is a commonly used word and always connote a negative sense:

"He is an unbidden guest."
    Time comes context/source. Where did you read/hear this, Sun. :) (The best sun I could muster.)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it may be more often used in a negative way, but not exclusively:
    Unbidden, he rushed to the aid of the stranger. (He didn't wait for somebody to tell him what to do; he was eager to help of his own accord.)

Sun14

Chinese
    Time comes context/source. Where did you read/hear this, Sun. :) (The best sun I could muster.)
    I came across it from a article by Richard Altick: The Art of Literary Research:

"No scholar ever has to peer around for something to do. His unquenchable curiosity of mind guarantees that. So long as one studies literature with an alert, creative, and critical intelligence, research subjects, far from blushing unseen,swim unbidden into one's keen."

I don't know the meaning of the word, then I check on the dictionary and make up the sentence.

< Previous | Next >