An unsuccessful and unpopular attempt to marry him to the Spanish Habsburg princess Maria Anna culmi

Vanloon

Hindi
Charles I of England - Wikipedia

Charles was born into the House of Stuart as the second son of King James VI of Scotland, but after his father inherited the English throne in 1603, he moved to England, where he spent much of the rest of his life. He became heir apparent to the thrones of England, Scotland and Ireland on the death of his elder brother, Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, in 1612. An unsuccessful and unpopular attempt to marry him to the Spanish Habsburg princess Maria Anna culminated in an eight-month visit to Spain in 1623 that demonstrated the futility of the marriage negotiations.

Q: Did princess Maria Anna attempt to marry Charles 1? I cannot understand this 'to'. Could you make another example of same usages like it please? Thanks in advance.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It does not say who made the attempt. Almost certainly it involved his father, James VI of Scotland (James I of England), presumably Princess Maria Anna's father or guardian, and quite possibly numerous others.

It is relatively rare for "marry" to have an indirect object; usually we think of marriage partners as being equal. But here, where it is an arranged marriage and we are primarily interested in just one of the parties, it is fine.

< Previous | Next >