an unsustainable corrupt <circle>

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "circle" refer to "a group of people"? Or "a course of route"?

One example is paying health-care providers to attend training sessions—isn't training part of their jobs and an incentive? Well, it used to be in my country, but for several global health programmes, paying health workers to attend a training session became a practice and created an unsustainable corrupt circle. This practice led to a situation in which health workers participating in training were not those who needed the training, but those who were chosen to receive the incentive.

Source: The Lancet Published:November 27, 2019

Corruption in global health: the open secret

Last edited:
  • grassy

Polish
    It refers to the people, namely the health workers paid to participate in training sessions and those who pay them.

Uncle Jack

British English
    A succession of events, I should think, although people are involved. Person A rewards person B with a training session (for which person B is paid). Person B might then do something for person A, except of course that there are many more than just two people involved.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I believe it is a variation on the phrase "vicious circle," in which a bad event leads to a worse event and the process continues downward. The author is from Peru and is probably not a native English speaker, so this is a natural change she might make even though the English phrase is a set phrase that should not be changed. Perhaps Dr. García felt that the word "corrupt" was more consistent with the theme of her paper.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I believe it is a variation on the phrase "vicious circle," in which a bad event leads to a worse event and the process continues downward. The author is from Peru and is probably not a native English speaker, so this is a natural change she might make even though the English phrase is a set phrase that should not be changed. Perhaps Dr. García felt that the word "corrupt" was more consistent with the theme of her paper.
    created an unsustainable corrupt circle. ===>>>
    created a vicious circle of corruption ("unsustainable" can be removed as well).

Thank you.

Thank you all.

< Previous | Next >