anal-compulsive Huns

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Annie talks to the principal of the school:
-- My children are in need of medical assistance! And you can sit here and smugly lecture me on the importance of tests? Tests which exist to pidgeonhole
children's potential, a thing which cannot possibly be measured! Least of all by anal-compulsive Huns!
Overboard, movie

She talks about some Schwartzman-Heineken tests. Whow does she refer to as "anal-compulsive" Huns and why?
Thanks.

• ewie

English English
    Schwartzman-Heineken is/was, or Schwartzman and Heineken are/were, German: Huns = Germans. Anal-compulsive means here 'obsessed with order, with pigeonholing things' etc.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    As, it's a reference to toilet training:D

Thank you, all.
    Well, it's a reference to Freudian psychoanalysis, as Freud was of the opinion that 'anally retentive' people were psychologically stuck in the toilet training period of their lives. But most people probably wouldn't connect 'anally retentive' with toilet training per se.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    'anally retentive' people were psychologically stuck in the toilet training period of their lives
    To be honest I still can't get that "anal" idea here. I read some dictionary definitions of "anal-relentive", such as:
    Indicating personality traits, such as meticulousness, avarice, and obstinacy, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in retention of feces.

exhibiting or typifying personality traits (as frugality and obstinacy) held to be psychological consequences of toilet training

(of a person) excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy)

But I'm still confused:), I can't understand the link.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    To be honest I still can't get that "anal" idea here. I read some dictionary definitions of "anal-relentive", such as:
    Indicating personality traits, such as meticulousness, avarice, and obstinacy, originating in habits, attitudes, or values associated with infantile pleasure in retention of feces.

exhibiting or typifying personality traits (as frugality and obstinacy) held to be psychological consequences of toilet training

(of a person) excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy)

But I'm still confused:), I can't understand the link.
    I would be worried if you were not confused. Freudian ideas were one of the main things which began the modern study of psychiatry, but the original propositions and terms used by Freud are now mostly viewed as nonsense. It's best to view 'anal-retentive' as a stand-alone adjective meaning 'stubborn, obsessive, excessively attentive to small details', it's a commonly used term even by people who have never even heard of Freud. Nobody can truly understand something which doesn't make sense in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

ewie

English English
    it's a commonly used term even by people who have never even heard of Freud
    :thumbsup: I think it long ago cast off its somewhat shameful origins, much though dictionaries might keep harking back to them.

It's one of the few things in Freudian Tripe Theory that doesn't have anything to do with sex, anal or otherwise:cool:

< Previous | Next >